FFA Finds Success at Competition

Matthew Parodi, Staff Writer
February 24, 2012
Filed under News

Louisburg FFA has always been a great success, but they were ecstatic for their Feb. 2 competition.

“I am really excited for our competition of the year!” Brecken Sigg, sophomore, said.

The Louisburg FFA chapter competed at Council Grove in three different events.

The seniors took the agriculture management competition. They competed with other schools on how to manage agriculture business and accounting.

The sophomores competed in the dairy food quality competition. There, they took a written test on the dairy food industry. They also taste-tested for the quality of the milk and cheese, for the fat content, salt and garlic, among other factors. The competitions were graded by how accurate they were in their grading of the dairy products.

“I was really excited, but nervous because it was our first competition for dairy foods. We had practiced after school a few days and in seminar, too,” Brandi Feehan, sophomore, said.

The final category that FFA competed in was poultry judging. In this competition, the freshmen had to identify high quality egg laying hens, evaluate both the interior and exterior of an egg to determine its grade, and identify chicken parts and problems with chicken patties, tenders, wings, fingers, ect. Lastly, they had to take a test over poultry in general.

FFA competed against 20 schools and over 400 induviduals. Results from the competition:  Dairy Foods team A 2nd; Brecken Sigg placed 3rd, Rachel Wittry 7th, Elizabeth Davey 9th. Dairy Foods team 2nd; Chase Green 4th, Emma Vogel 7th, Sevea Totta 9th. Poultry team A 2nd; Jada Caplinger 2nd, Clay Davis 5th. Poultry team B 1st; Reid Blythe 2nd, Andie Buffington 4th, Kallie O’Keefe 5th. Agriculture management 3rd; Garrett Griffin 6th.

“They did a great job; all of them were first timers, competing against students that had been there before. And to see how well they did was tremendous!” Jim Morgan, FFA sponsor, said.

FFA’s first competition of the year was definitely a success. From their track record, only great things and success can be expected from Louisburg FFA in the remainder of the 2011-2012 school year.

Comments

"The Pawprint" intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. "The Pawprint" does not allow anonymous comments, and "The Pawprint" requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.