Jazz Band participates in their first competition

Matthew Parodi, Staff Writer
May 4, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

After months of practicing, on Apr. 25 the Louisburg High School Jazz Band went to their first contest at KCKCC (Kansas City, Kansas Community College). This contest was only the second held at KCKCC. Thirty-one middle school, high school, and college jazz bands, jazz combos and vocal groups attended the contest, a 25% increase from last year’s.

“It was neat to see the rest of the jazz bands and what they had to offer,” Katee Jo Vantine, junior, said.

The goal of the contest was not to get good rating, but to just improve the overall ensemble by receiving comments from local jazz professionals. In addition to the comments, select members of the band were given a certificate of outstanding musicianship. Those recipients were Andrew Yach, senior; Molly Meigs, freshman; Josh Agnew, junior; and Kaelle Allen, sophomore.

“[Getting the award] really surprised me! I only really played trumpet in middle school, so it was definitely unexpected,” Allen, sophomore, said.

A good rating is always something that Louisburg High School has aspired to achieve. Some people liked not getting rated, while other students enjoy the anticipation that comes along with going to a band contest.

“I feel like it would have helped us more to get a rating,” Allen said “But it was also good because it didn’t get anyone’s hopes up.”

Along with going to their first jazz band contest, the LHS jazz band also went to the American Jazz Museum, located on 18th and Vine. Many people say that jazz was born in New Orleans and grew up in Kansas City right on 18th and Vine. The LHS jazz band was ecstatic about how they did at the contest and the insight that they got from the contest.

Comments

"The Pawprint" intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. "The Pawprint" does not allow anonymous comments, and "The Pawprint" requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.