Cult of Voltaire: Technology, a flip or fail?

Cult of Voltaire:  Technology, a flip or fail?

wind8apps.com

As technology advances and data becomes easier to access, reporters across the globe can struggle to adapt with these changes. With cell phones including instant news access, journalists have to use videography instead of the usual “picture and story” method. While mainly cities and large towns are being affected, it will not be long before towns such as Louisburg must make the switch to video. However, where does that leave student newspapers?

Louisburg High School’s very own Purple and White Pawprint newspaper has had to accept some changes in the recent years of their writing. At the beginning of the 14-15 year, Robert Bovaird, newspaper sponsor, explained that our staff would need to use Facebook and Twitter to broadcast links to stories or live play-by-plays of a sports game. The problem that many of us ran into was the connection speed in Louisburg (nonexistent). We could post all we wanted, but the area we reside in would not allow us to upload said post. Thanks, T-Mobile. Your seven remaining users are extremely proud of you.

Being a mainly online newspaper, the Pawprint sports photo galleries of events across an entire semester. At one point during the 13-14 year, we even uploaded a few GIFS (Graphics Interchange Format) of sports events or dancers. However, that’s the closest to video that our staff has ever gotten. I understand that video would allow better coverage of an event, but with all of the school’s firewalls and slow connection speeds, videos would cause more harm than good on our site.

Louisburg can make the technological flip in journalism. We can. Anyone can do it. However, residing in a place where 90% of the population is linked to the same provider (mokan), this switch does not seem desirable. We simply do not have a proper network connection. My advice? Wait a few years. Overland Park will consume us, we will finally have a Taco Bell in our town and LTE (Long-Term Evolution) connections on our phones.