The Purple and White Pawprint

Future of Student Newspaper Programs

unknown

unknown

For hundreds of years, newspapers have been presenting the world with news and entertainment. The presentation has transformed from printed papers, to radio, to television and to social media today. Louisburg High School carries on this tradition by fostering journalism student’s skills in the newspaper program, The Pawprint. The young journalists enrolled in this program should be taught ethical principles such as acting professional and respectful when reporting. This is not to say the students should do everything old-fashioned. Students should take advantage of technology and social media because the future of journalism lies there.

Journalism is meant to act as a real publication in the real world. Real publications want to hire professional adults who will act and write appropriately during interviews and in their articles. The Louisburg Harold, for example, expects their employed journalists to cover stories in a respectful way. If a journalist fails to do so, they run the risk of losing the essence of their stories. Imagine a journalist is covering the funeral of a town’s elder. If the journalist is cracking jokes throughout the funeral service, the other attendees will probably refuse an interview because of how unprofessional the journalist acted. By being respectful at all times journalists can connect in interviews and intertwine them in meaningful stories.

Student newspaper programs should carry on the lesson of maintaining professional attitude into social media. Unlike paper, radio and television, social media is expected to last forever, so journalists must think wisely about what they post. Social media is also a beneficial way to promote stories written by journalists. Journalists can attain more readers through utilizing websites such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Without social media, young up and coming journalists have to work harder get noticed.

The Official Online Newspaper for Louisburg High School
Future of Student Newspaper Programs