Another Morning, Another Change

Brooke Talmage

Students sit and relax in LHS commons on a Thrusday morining when they are allowed to travel from their seminar classes.

Brooke Talmage, Editor In Chief

January 31, 2017, had students of Louisburg High School experiencing yet another change to their school day and schedule with the introduction of travel back into seminar.

At the beginning of the 2016-2017 school year, seminar was first changed to a 25-minute period at the beginning of the day to allow for 90 minute classes, which was necessary with the implementation of Multi-Tier System of Supports, or MTSS, and while this promoted time with a seminar teacher to develop relationships, no travel was allowed in which to seek support from other teachers. It was also changed in hopes that tardies to first block would lessen, or at least lessen the academic impact of being tardy to one’s first hour, and students would get more out of their day.

Soon, however, complaints from both teachers and students about not being able to travel surfaced. Many teachers were adamant that traveling during seminar was needed, so administration looked at everything to find a way to fit the apparently needed change into the schedule.

The change that ended up being made was to allow traveling on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with a few conditions: all students had to check in with their seminar teacher between 7:30 and 7:55 and they had to designate a location from a list of possibilities. Besides freedom to go to any teacher’s classroom, as they are required to be on call from 7:35 to 8:20 to provide assistance, students could go to the library or room 108 for quite places to study, or the commons to socialize, study, relax, etc.

As soon as the new seminar had been going for awhile, administration compared the data between the first semester and second semester. However, what the data concluded may not be what most students and teachers would hope for.

“Right now, in the two weeks that we’ve moved, Fs have increased and students are not maybe seeking out teachers like they should be,” said Louisburg High School principal, Tammy Thomasson.

While grades seem to be fluctuating and students are possibly enjoying their newfound freedom a little too much, there are many who still see hope for this new seminar structure.

“I like it because it gives students a good opportunity to go see teachers and make up missed work,” said sophomore, Hallie Hutsell.

And while some students are looking at the change optimistically, there are others who still find flaws in the system.

“I think it’s completely stupid. It should be at the end of the day and you should have the option to not go,” said senior, Matthew Rison.

At the moment, only time will tell if this change to seminar will become concrete. Until then, students will have the ability to travel during their morning seminar on Tuesdays and Thursdays.