Another Successful State Competition for Louisburg FFA

%28From+left+to+right%29+Faith+Seuferling%2C+Hallie+Hutsell%2C+Hattie+Harris%2C+and+Addie+Katzer+all+pose+with+the++first+place+plaque+for+the+Food+Science+competition.+The+four+girls+all+placed+1-4+in+the+FFA+competition+and+spent+over+an+estimated+100+hours+studying+and+preparing+for+the+competition.+The+girls+will+now+compete+at+nationals+in+October.+

Jim Morgan

(From left to right) Faith Seuferling, Hallie Hutsell, Hattie Harris, and Addie Katzer all pose with the first place plaque for the Food Science competition. The four girls all placed 1-4 in the FFA competition and spent over an estimated 100 hours studying and preparing for the competition. The girls will now compete at nationals in October.

Brett Silance, Staff Writer

The Louisburg FFA had yet another successful state competition in Manhattan, Kansas. This year three out of the ten teams that went emerged victorious with first place finishes, and the chance to compete at the national level.

“The kids did really great, I am really proud of them. They have a lot of work ahead of them for nationals but they are a hard working group,” said FFA sponsor Jim Morgan, who has taken teams to this competition the last two decades and who is an alumnus of Kansas State University.

This year at state Louisburg had six teams placing in the top 10 out of the state of Kansas with the Food Science, Floriculture, and Nursery Landscape teams all claiming 1st place.

“I felt the utmost joy and excitement when I found out we placed first for food science. It was even more amazing to find out that all 4 members of our team placed 1-4 individually. I was so proud of all of my teammates and so happy for them. It was such a special blessing to find out we won and that we get to go to Nationals. It was amazing to be on a team with Hallie, Hattie, and Addie and I cannot wait to experience Nationals with them,” said Seuferling.

The Food Science team had a tremendous finish, taking first place and all four contestants taking the top four placings individually. It was a nerve-racking wait for the results; they were delayed due to scoring issues. Sophomore Hattie Harris took 1st, Hallie Hutsell took 2nd, 3rd place went to Faith Seuferling, and Addie Katzer took 4th.

“I was nervous during the competition but even during the results. I was somewhat prepared for what was to come because of competing last year,” said sophomore Hallie Hutsell.

The Nursery and Landscape team consisting of all seniors included Megan Eberhart earning 1st, ,Kaitlyn Gaza  6th, and Bryn O’Meara 7th

Jim Morgan
(From left to right) Shaylor Witham, Carli Caplinger, Kaitlyn Urban, and Brody Knipp holding the first place plaque for floriculture competition. These four individuals all placed in the top ten and now have a shot at the national competition in October. 

The floriculture team consisted of junior Kaitlyn Urban (2nd place) and sophomores Shaylor Witham (3rd), Brody Knipp (4th), and Carli Caplinger (10th).

“We were surprised at first, but very excited for the opportunity to go to nationals,” said Caplinger

Many other teams had great finishes, with the Dairy Foods and Poultry teams finishing in 5th place. Other teams participating included Meats, Vet Science, Ag. Mech., and Agronomy.

For many members, this was their first time competing at the state level, while others have competed at the state and national levels, which certainly helped in preparing and doing well.

“Already winning state in 2016 definitely prepared me for state competition this year. Last year’s state competition prepared me for this year’s state competition because I knew how much studying and time needs to be put in. It prepared me to study as much as possible and to study to the best of my ability and to apply my knowledge to the highest degree. It prepared me to spend countless hours studying late into the night, and it prepared me to work as a team and to help and encourage my teammates,” said sophomore Faith Seuferling.

Overall, it was a very successful state competition for Mr. Morgan and the Louisburg FFA members, as well as a very successful year. Those qualifying for nationals will head to Indianapolis in late October to compete.