The Purple and White Pawprint

Valentine’s Grams

Back to Article
Back to Article

Valentine’s Grams

Posters were put up around the school by members of FCCLA to gather attention for the event.

Brooke Talmage, Editor in Chief

Valentine’s Day. Singles’ Awareness Day. Feast of Saint Valentine. February 14. Whatever you choose to call it, the fourteenth day of February is a day observed by many as a day of love, affection and candy. Every year, people across the nation buy stuffed animals, chocolate hearts, silly cards, and more to show their significant other or even just close friends how much they mean to them, but FCCLA saw an opportunity and took it.

This Valentine’s Day, the students of Louisburg High School were presented with the opportunity to buy gifts for those special people in their lives and have them delivered by members of FCCLA. They called the fundraiser Valentine’s Grams and spread it around the school. Offered to the students were different packages that included a personalized note and Hershey Kisses, carnations, or cans of Crush soda. Students were also given the opportunity to purchase a bundle of all three.

Members of FCCLA were prompted to put this on after gaining inspiration from other schools’ activities and seeing LHS Student Council’s Winter Wishes program. FCCLA put on the event in hopes to raise funds for their student-led program. The group received around 80 orders for the entire school.

Because this was our first year of doing this, we did not have a set number of orders we were hoping to get. We were just hoping to make a profit, and we were able to. We hope to do this again next year and receive more orders,” FCCLA President, Makenna Allen said.  

Just like with any event, there were challenges to make sure everything went smoothly. School hours made it difficult to disperse the gifts, so members had to improvise.

“Some of the challenges were tracking down every person who ordered one and making sure they got their gram. It was also hard to spread the word about the grams. We put up posters and put it in the announcements, but not everyone knew about it or how they could order one,” Allen said.

One of the LHS students who received a Valentine’s Gram was senior, Chloe Philgreen, from her sophomore sister, Chelsea Philgreen.

“I loved it. I thought it was a great idea, and I thought it made the day a little more fun and special. It was certainly a surprise. She bought me a carnation,” Chloe said.

Members of FCCLA not only hoped to earn money through the event but also hoped to promote themselves a little.

“A lot of people don’t know anything about FCCLA but I think more people would join if they knew more about us and the stuff we do,” Vice President, Anna Niebrugge said.

The profit margin of $80 will be beneficial when the club travels to their state competition.

For more information on FCCLA, contact its ranking members, Makenna Allen, Anna Niebrugge, Claire Reitz, Hannah Jones, Libby Storey, Billie Casebeer, or Haven Turner.

• Valentine’s Grams

Football

Louisburg Varsity Football takes on the Paola Panthers

• Valentine’s Grams

News

Teachers and School Organizations Involved in a Push For Twitter

• Valentine’s Grams

Features

The Band Garage sale

• Valentine’s Grams

Top Stories

State Forensics

• Valentine’s Grams

Top Stories

Journalism Students Travel to State

• Valentine’s Grams

News

First Ever State Music Festival Hosted at LHS

• Valentine’s Grams

News

Student Council Hosts Bi-annual Blood Drive

• Valentine’s Grams

Top Stories

Louisburg Hosts League STUCO

• Valentine’s Grams

Baseball

Louisburg Baseball Has Early Success

• Valentine’s Grams

Top Stories

Walk Out of Louisburg High School

The Official Online Newspaper for Louisburg High School
Valentine’s Grams