LHS students put on Shrek the Musical

Faithanne Burgoon, Editor in Chief

On November 10 and 11, the LHS musical crew performed Shrek the Musical in front of packed crowds of the LHS community, family, staff , and students.

This musical, directed by Mrs. Moore, sold out for the first showing on Saturday night.

“For the first time in my career, we sold out on Saturday’s show,” director Alison Moore said.

Although the Saturday showing was intended to be the final performance. The musical had originally been planned to open on Friday night, but due to the playoff football game, was postponed.

“Although it changed things, it was great to see our football success lead to an extra game on Friday,” senior Beckett Rasmussen said.

Filling out the main roles of the musical were senior Beckett Rasmussen as Shrek, his noble steed Donkey played by sophomore Ben Wiedenmann, junior Chelsea Philgreen as Fiona, and senior Cole Williams as the diminutive Lord Farquaad.

“[Being a lead character] was an amazing experience for my senior year,” Rasmussen said.

Prior to the public performances,  the crew prepared with teasers for various groups. LHS staff and students enjoyed a teaser of the musical on the 8 during advisory to entice people to come watch the next day. After that, the elementary and middle schools students along with some senior citizens had select scenes previewed to them later in the day.

Probably most intriguing is the continual tradition of including all grades and even some teachers making it a district performance.  Elementary schools students were featured in a scene parodying popular Disney films while the middle schoolers and teachers were featured in an opening scene singing “It’s a Big Bright Beautiful World.”

“I really like getting as many people involved as possible. I also love giving younger kids the opportunity to perform so they get a feel for what it’s like in high school. It helps build my program,” Moore said.

With tremendous amounts of good reviews on the show, Mrs. Moore and the cast were praised for their hard work.

“The cast was prepared and amazing, the crew worked hard, and most importantly everyone got along really well,” Moore said.